The burning of Spellow library broke my heart – but books will prevail over bigotry | Olivia Sung

The destruction of this beloved Liverpool institution was an act of far-right hatred. But seeing the community rally to restore this haven of literature gives me hope

On Saturday night, amid the maelstrom of far-right violence spreading across the country, Spellow library in Liverpool was torched by rioters. Hundreds of books were destroyed, and those of us who love the city and its many libraries are grieving.

Some of my earliest memories were made in Liverpool’s libraries. I remember being four years old, visiting Garston library with my parents, where my mum used its one-stop shop service to seek advice about council tax. A tiny Alice tumbling down her first literary rabbit hole, enchanted by the spines on the shelves, I chose a tattered Percy the Park Keeper novel – only to be told off by my dad moments later for pulling the book’s protective plastic off. Oops. Once we got it home, my dad promised, he would give it some minor surgery: tweezers to tauten the staples, a discreet dab of PVA glue, and it would heal up fine. Continue reading...


http://dlvr.it/TBg4LJ

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post