The tragedy and triumph of Diane von Fürstenberg: ‘My mother taught me fear is not an option’

She was the miracle baby, born after her mother survived the concentration camps, who married a prince, then became rich and famous as a fashion designer. She discusses love, life advice and losing her virginity

Diane von Fürstenberg picks up on the first ring. We are speaking by phone, not on Zoom, so I start by asking her where she is at the moment. “Oh, it’s very complicated,” she says. A drawn-out, gravelly sigh crackles down the line. “I’m in a very contemplative place. I’m almost 77, and I have had a big life. A folkloric life. A great adventure. And now it is time to look at the balance sheet of that life.”

I was actually wondering about her geographical whereabouts, not her philosophical ones, but the answer is pure Von Fürstenberg. She has always been one for the big picture, for the grand gesture, for feeling all the feels. Even the wrap dress which made her fame and her fortune – an icon which turns 50 next year – was only ever a means to an end, a way for Von Fürstenberg to get the life she wanted. As a little girl, she says, she didn’t know what she wanted to do when she grew up, but she did know what kind of woman she wanted to be. And that was a woman in charge. “I didn’t know the specifics of what that meant, but I absolutely knew the feeling. And I became the woman I wanted to be, because of that dress. I created the dress, but really the dress created me.” Continue reading...


http://dlvr.it/SzM4R3

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post