I’m an outspoken Black woman in France – so a powerful man tried to silence me with the law | Rokhaya Diallo

A celebrity targeted me online, but under a system that should protect all equally, I was the one charged with a criminal offence

As someone who has been in the public eye for the past 15 years, I am used to scrutiny and criticism. Online hate – especially when it targets women, and Black women in particular – has been extensively documented. So I have a pretty good idea of what to expect if I choose to speak out about sexism and racism in a country unwilling to acknowledge its misdeeds. Anonymous abuse and attacks from political or public figures come with the territory, and I have little choice but to face them.

But I could never have imagined that a French celebrity could subject me to persistent criticism in plain sight, yet escape being called out for it by any of the media figures who invite him to appear on their shows and platforms. It has been a chilling lesson to realise that instead it was me who would end up victimised and put on trial for attempting to expose what I felt was harassment.

Rokhaya Diallo is a Guardian columnist. She is a writer, journalist, film director and activist

Do you have an opinion on the issues raised in this article? If you would like to submit a response of up to 300 words by email to be considered for publication in our letters section, please click here. Continue reading...


http://dlvr.it/SzSSSk

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post