How to turn a marrow glut into a brilliant jam | Waste not

Marrows have just the right texture to turn into delicious jam – this one features ginger and honey, but feel free to try your own flavours Marrow jam is economical, delicious and quick to make, and I love it on buttered wholemeal toast, hot crumpets or rye crackers; it also makes a gorgeous filling for a courgette Victoria sponge-style cake, especially if topped with lemony, cream-cheese icing. The inspirational Pam “The Jam” Corbin, who taught (and still teaches) jam-making at River Cottage, where I used to work, is one of my heroines, and today’s recipe draws on one of hers. She uses jam sugar, which includes pectin, to help her jam set, but my twist on it is that I’ve used honey as a sweetener instead, which adds both a wonderful, floral taste and important nutritional elements, which I think are important when it comes to sweet treats. To help set the jam, I’ve blended an entire pectin-rich lemon (including the rind and skin) into the mixture. Continue reading...
http://dlvr.it/SsCW4L

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post