Mousse lessons for a bittersweet milestone

Children grow up but they still know what they want for pudding Some of you, like me, will have taken a child to university these past few weeks. I never went to university (shock horror), so this is a new chapter for my family. For her last Sunday dinner en famille, I asked my eldest what she wanted as a dessert; she chose chocolate mousse. For years, when my children were smaller, this was a regular at the Sunday lunch table. We’d distract my youngest and steal her chocolate mousse and all pretend we didn’t know where it was, and we did exactly this again in a small, bittersweet moment. Most of us have a chocolate mousse recipe passed down the generations, but in order to not get too sentimental I tried a new one from The Joy of Chocolate by Paul A Young. The chocolate seized when I put in the egg yolks, I could see it going dull and grainy. There is no return for chocolate that does this if you ever want it to have a shiny finish, but it was for mousse, and I refused to be dictated to by mere science, so I whisked in some hot water and it came together rather beautifully. Continue reading...
http://dlvr.it/SZMY6l

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post